FPBA worked with Swinerton, Snipes Dye Associates and Coffman Engineers to coordinate the installation of this formidable bronze sculpture that commemorates Rex, the lion who inspired the creation of the Zoo in 1916. Standing only on one paw and more than 27 feet tall, Rex welcomes visitors at the Zoo’s entrance.
Rex’s imposing stance was made possible by anchoring the statue into 50 tons of concrete below the ground. Bronze sea creatures and flamingos set in concrete surround Rex, while a central sun element forms his landing pad. A decorative plaque highlights donors Craig and Mark Grosvenor, and concrete benches provide seating for visitors.